[rrd-users] Re: inserting historical data to rrdtool

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 18 20:35:48 MEST 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Re: inserting historical data...:

[...]
*> I wonder if there isn't some methodology or algorithm that would help sew
*> the ends together?  Not mathematically 'perfect', but 'best
*> effort'/most-likely...
*>
*> To the first order, you could just ignore the discontinuity, go around
*> the averaging, and force the endpoint data into those tail slots.  (I
*> have *no* idea as to what that would entail nor it's plausability.. in
*> the code.  Flame away.)  That would probably be nicer (from the front
*> end/view POV) instead of putting in the unknowns at the tails of the
*> imported data.

the problem here is, to see what rrdtool is for and what it is not
for. RRDtool is a specialized database for storing time series
data. It is fast and can eat data as it comes from your measurment
equipment ...

RRDtool is not a sql database system ... and if you are tring to
make it into one this is not going to work ... honest, I know the
code ...

cheers
tobi

PS and incidentely there are mysql and postgresql which do the
'store data as is', 'insert, delete, edit' thing very well ...
--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich