[rrd-users] Re: disabling interpolation?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Aug 22 19:14:10 MEST 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding Re: [rrd-users] Re: disabling interpolation?:

*> "Paul C. Williamson" wrote:
*> >
*> > >>> "John D. Blair" <jblair at quicknet.net> 08/22/00 12:10PM >>>
*> >
*> > interpolates it records impossible conditions.  I.e., there are never
*> > 4.76 people in a room, there are either 4 or 5.
*> >
*> > Not to add fuel to the fire, but...
*> >
*> > There were probably 5 people in the room from 9:00 am until 9:47, then 1 walked out leaving 4.  Over that hours, there were an average of 4.76 people in the room.
*> >
*> > Just stirring it up....
*>
*> I understand this reasoning-- it makes perfect sense from a statistical
*> perspective.  I didn't mean to be argumentative.  I was just hoping
*> there was a way to make rrdtool "less accurate."  I've just got a
*> situation where other people are confused by non-integer values in the
*> graph and keep reporting it as a bug.
*>
*> At any rate, its looking like the solution to my problem will be to
*> quantize the time value that I report to rrdtool on the step boundaries
*> I've set up in the RRA.

yes ... because makeing rrdtool less acurate is something I want to
avoid by all means ... there are people doing their billing based
on rrdtool data and we would not want them to accidentely select
the 'less accurate' mode or would we :-) ...

Also I would NOT quantize because people get confused by the data
... you should not fix the statistics to apeal to the masses.
Rather take the oportunity to educate them by having a link to a
page explaining why there were 4.7 modems in use over the last hour
... because at least when you get to longer intervals like yearly
average the rounding will become sort of a liability ...

cheers
tobi
*>
*> thanks,