[rrd-users] New flame.

Felix Lungu Felix.Lungu at bcv01y01.vz.cit.alcatel.fr
Wed Aug 23 14:10:50 MEST 2000

Hi everybody,

Quite an interesting wave of discussions this morning. That's good.
Many people are using Tobi's tools (like MRTG, rrdtool,..) and they are
quite happy. Why? Because it simple to use for the specific tasks.
SNMP, logs, etc.., are the best candidate for this tools.

But (there is always a "but"), from my experience with PM (performance
management) in GSM networks this tool can hardly face the needs. I'm
not talking about all specific hierarchy (this is not the job of
rrdtool)
an data types (which are OK) issues, but data collection, data
aggregation,
reporting and graphing.

1. data collection. In GSM networks the equipment (BSC, BTS) generates
(according to its configuration) files with counters observations. But
this files can arrive sometimes out
of order. So no way to load not to old data.

2. data aggregation. Some counters at some level of network hierarchy
must be aggregated
from raw data to an consolidated indicator. (EX. nb of call drop per set
of cells).
There is, let say, a way to do that in the actual form of rrdtool. You
can report
data form the graph command with a PRINT(?) statement and then pipe it
to another rrdtool
instance.

3. reporting. A PM application must have a way to create text formatted
reports. rrdtool
has something like this, but it a collateral function.

4. graphing. The graphs that rrdtool are nice as long you graph series
of time data with
trend lines (areas). But, for example, what about maximum of drop calls
for a day for set
of cells. A proper representation for this type of graphing is bar
chart, not trend lines.

Theoretical solutions:

1. There should be way to insert data in a rrdb for PDP data out of
order, but not is this
set of PDPs are not consolidated.

2. Data aggregation can be achieved by combining parts of update and
graph in one command.

3. For reporting can be used the code from graph with some additions and
cleanings.

4. For graphs should be used a library for graphs like gdchart
(http://www.fred.net/brv/chart/) and a new sintax for using all types of
charts and if it is possible, templates.

(For flammed comments please use my private address, don't overload the
mailing list.)
The comments and criticism are wellcomed.

Felix LUNGU