[rrd-users] Re: What can this be ?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Fri Dec 1 19:23:05 MET 2000

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 09:18:07AM -0500, Frank Swasey wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 Daniel.Kurucz at varetis.de wrote:
>
> > This will result :
> > N:11.96:8.97:7.90
> > This means the load of the last 5, 10 and 15 minutes
> [snip]

BTW, this doesn't relate to your problem, but on most UNIX systems,
"uptime" returns load averages as 1, 5, and 15 minute decaying-
exponential values, not 5, 10, and 15.  I was just setting up CPU load
monitoring in Cricket (using RRD) so this happened to be at the
forefront of my mind.

> > The problem is not that big, but the question is : WHY ?
>
> N means now.... is this always run without fail at exactly every 5
> minutes?  (I'm a newbie at this, so I may be wrong but I think that) If
> not, RRD is adjusting the values you are entering to figure out what
> they were at the exact 300 second interval.

Correct, RRD is almost certainly attempting to interpolate as best it
can, from whenever the data happened to be entered, to the values on
the exact 5 minute intervals.

  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
      The named which can be named is not the Eternal named.