[rrd-users] Re: What can this be ?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Fri Dec 1 19:28:57 MET 2000

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 03:27:17PM +0100, Daniel.Kurucz at varetis.de wrote:

> Of course, N means now. RRD runs every 5 minutes in cron and i never had an
> error message.

  You might want to dump the RRD and look at the exact start time set
inside it.  It might be that the start time defined in the RRD isn't on
a 5 minute boundary, and hence the 5 minute intervals assumed in the
RRD don't coincide with the multiples of 5 minute intervals used by
cron.  If that's the case, the only solution I can see is to nuke the
RRD and create it again with an explicit start time, preferably on an
hour boundary.

  Also, it's not safe to assume that there is absolutely zero delay
associated with starting cron jobs or executing command.  My guess is
that if you put a "date" command right before or after the RRD command
in, you'll see it's being delayed at least a few seconds, which could
lead to RRD adjusting the data at least slightly.

  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
      The named which can be named is not the Eternal named.