[rrd-users] Re: [rrdgraph] Y labels

Denis Barbier barbier at imacs.polytechnique.fr
Fri Feb 4 11:01:04 MET 2000

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Monday you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Re: [rrdgraph] Y labels:
>
> *> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> *>
> *> > Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] [rrdgraph] Y labels:
> *> >
> *> > *> Hi Tobias and all,
> *> > *>
> *> > *> i am learning RRDtool with a simple example, showing CPU load. It works
> *> > *> very nice, but i failed changing Y labels. Instead of ``500m'',
> *> > *> ``1000m'', etc. i prefer 0.5, 1.0, etc.
> *> > *> Is it possible?
> *> > *> It could be done by specifying a sprintf format as third argument of
> *> > *> --y-grid.
[snip]
> the problem of 'just' adopting the --x-grid for y is that the x grid is
> especially tuend to configuring the time axis ... this does not work
> directly for the y axis which is not time at all ... try to write a full
> documentation entry for the proposed --x-grid behaviour and youwill see
> where the catch is ...

Let me try:

=item B<-y>|B<--y-grid> I<y-axis grid and label> (default
autoconfigure)

The y-axis label is configured like x-axis. Syntax is

I<GOV>B<:>I<GST>B<:>I<MOV>B<:>I<MST>B<:>I<LOV>:I<LST>B<:>I<LFM>

It is similar to x-axis except that no precision is needed
for labels, origins of grids and labels are set by numerical
values named I<?OV>, and printf format is used instead of
strftime format.

If you wanted to draw a graph showing your CPU load with a
base grid every half-unit and a major one every unit, with
labels every 2 units, you would use the following y-axis
definition.

C<0:0.5:0:1:0:2:%4.1f>

Default format (using SI units) has no printf equivalent,
and is rendered by the C<%S> directive.

Regards

Denis