[rrd-users] Re: adding datasources to existing RRDs using XML

Cliff Daniel cdaniel at Level3.net
Tue Jan 11 23:20:27 MET 2000

I've actually had some luck with consolidating 700 rrds into
one/multiple  rrds before.  The need for this is because I
wanted to rollup 700 elements into a Global/Regional/City view.
Since loosing the historical data wasn't an option I had no choice
but to read in each rrd, sum the values for the respective
local and output a new xml which was restored.  During this
process I also added about 11 more DS.  The only problem that
required manually fixing was the cdp_preps, as well as the
30min/2hour/1 day averages.

I'm still facing an issue each time I manually edit the xml.
Let's say there is a huge spike down in the yearly view so
I only need to edit that spike in the 86400 rra and restore
it.  The problem is the next cron'd update causes a _huge_
spike in the 300 rra, which isn't explainable since I never
touched it.

Cliff

Paul Wickman <paulw at explosive.net> writes:

> > you might want to consider to NOT add new rows to existing RRAs but rather
> > have more RRAs ...
> >

> 	I, for one, have been bitten more than once (with Cricket, and
> other things using RRD that I've tried/written), when I wanted to monitor
> a new variable of an existing target.  I have to either trash all my old
> data, and start with a new archive, with the new ds, or start a seperate
> file.
>
> 	Storing each ds in a seperate archive doesn't seem very effficient
> either.  I haven't done any tests to back it up, but surely updating 1
> file with 1,000 datasources would be quicker than opening 1,000 seperate
> files.
>

> --

Cliff Daniel
Level 3 Communications