[rrd-users] New User Q's

S. William Schulz sws at astrum.com
Thu Jan 13 20:19:02 MET 2000

Hello all,

I just downloaded and installed rrd without problem.  My problems lie with
the way it works.  I've read the tutorial and the man pages, and it all
seemed to make sense, as far as they go, I just can't seem to grasp the big
picture.

I've started with (what I thought would be) an easy test.  I want to
monitor the daily output of a web->pager gateway.

I created the database with:

rrd create page.rrd --start 946788900 \  # start at 23:55 on 1 Jan 2000
	--step 86400 \ # one data point per day
	DS:pages:GAUGE:172800:0:1000 \ # allow for a missed day (shouldn't be any)
	RRA:MAX:0.5:1:365 \ # keep a record of the max record over the last year
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:365 # keep an average over the last year

(rrd is an alias for rrdtool)

Then I put in some dummy data:

rrd update page.rrd \
		946788901:75 \
		946875300:2 \
		946961700:31 \
		947048100:8 \
		947134500:31 \
		947220900:37 \
		947307300:44 \
		947393700:45 \
		947480100:18 \
		947566500:14 \
		947652900:40 \
		947739300:32 \
		947825700:33

Does this look correct?  What I'd like to do is monitor/plot the average
pages per day, yet the average output yields what does not appear correct:

  rrd fetch page.rrd AVERAGE --start 946788900
                     pages

  946771200:           nan
  946857600:          2.00
  946944000:         25.06
  947030400:         12.71
  947116800:         26.29
  947203200:         35.77
  947289600:         42.57
  947376000:         44.80
  947462400:         23.53
  947548800:         14.82
  947635200:         34.67
  947721600:         33.64
  947808000:         32.80

Seems that the average of 75 and 2 (first two data points) is incorrect, etc...

  rrd fetch page.rrd MAX --start 946788900 yields exactly the same output
(I expected some tracking of maximum values).

Where have I gone wrong?

I'd also like to plot the actual data points for each day, and the
average/day.  I cannot seem to figure out how to get it to plot the actual
values, as opposed to the AVERAGE output.  What do I use for the DEF to
have it use the actual data points, rather than the AVERAGE?

Thanks in advance,

SWS