[rrd-users] Re: Outputting a PNG directly from Perl + RRDs.pm

Chris Snell cjs at citysearch.com
Fri Jan 14 17:54:41 MET 2000

At 08:58 AM 1/14/00 -0600, Chris Josephes wrote:

> > The problem is, I can't seem to make the perl module spit out an image
> > directly.  It seems to want to write it to a file instead.  I tried using
> > "-" as a filename but it didn't spit out anything.  Any ideas?
>
>If disk space isn't a problem, why not write to a file, and then send the
>file to STDOUT like 14all.cgi does?  Then you could throw in the "--lazy"
>option, which would prevent the re-building of the PNG file if the data in
>the .rrd hasn't changed.  It would increase the amount of file space used
>on disk, but it would result in faster CGI output, since RRD isn't always
>creating a graph every time.

This is what I ended up doing.  For some reason, mod_perl is swallowing the
output of the RRDs stuff when I output to STDOUT.  I'm going to have to
read up on mod_perl and find out why.  It's decently fast even with the
filesystem write/read/deletion but I'm aiming to make this thing run bloody
fast! :-)

Chris
--
Chris Snell <cjs at citysearch.com>         626.660.2882 W
UNIX Wrangler                            626.695.1747 M

"You know, it's the early bird that gets the worm...
        But it's the second mouse that gets the cheese."
              - Guy Clark