[rrd-users] Re: "GMT-centric" problem?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sun Jan 16 23:06:25 MET 2000

Tomorrow you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Re: "GMT-centric" problem?:

*> If rrd captures time information as UTC, and is displayed in loacl time using
*> the TZ environment variable why not :-
*>      Fiddle TZ in the graph generation script to produce output in the local
*> time zone you desire?

this is correct, but the problem is that mrtg will aligne its time slots to
UTC ... always ... if you look at 1 day intervals for an RRA this can be a
problem because the intervals will be aligned to UTC ... in the long range
this does not matter, but if you look at these data points up close they
look 'odd' in your lokal time zone because the samples gom from 6pm to 6pm
... and not from midnight to midnight.

Thinking about the matter though I come to the point where it seems to me
that the solution presented by Alex works very well. And because rrdtool
lets you keep data at different resolutions you can still move to UTC days
after a few weeks so that you do not have to keep data for 'ages'

cheers
toib

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich