[rrd-users] Re: bug?

steve rader rader at teak.wiscnet.net
Mon Jan 17 15:49:16 MET 2000

 > From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Karl_Hei=F0ar?=
 > I have a question about rrdtool with nrg-0.33
 >
 > i have a router that has a lot of interfaces, so,
 > System[heimilist]:                  comunity at routeraddress.example
 >
 > i need to define a -14:comunity at routeraddress.example
 >
 > i tryed it like above, also comunity at routeraddress.example:14
 > and comunity at routeraddress.example:-14
 >
 > and all 3 tryes dont seem to work...
 >
 > any ideas ?

Karl, I think you are confusing MRTG configuration syntax
with NRG syntax.

With MRTG, you define a domain name (or IP addr, IRRC), SNMP
community read string, SNMP OID and SNMP interface instance
like so

 Target[r1]: 2:public at myrouter.omplace.edu

(where "2:" implies gathering/graphing ifInOctets and
ifOutOctests for SNMP interface instance two.)

With NRG, you have to be a bit more verbose: the System[]
statement defines a domain name and SNMP read string;
whereas Variable[][] stmts define SNMP OIDs and interface
instances:

 System[r1]:            public at myrouter.omplace.edu
 Variable[r1][in]:      ifInOctets.2
 Variable[r1][out]:     ifOutOctets.2

See also the .conf files in the NRG examples directory.

Btw, with NRG v0.35, you will be able to use (perl) regular
expressions in "target" and "ds" parts of configuration
keywords:

 System[r.*]:            public at myrouter.omplace.edu

 Variable[r1-ser0][in]:  ifInOctets.2
 Variable[r1-ser0][out]: ifOutOctets.2

and thus to gather data for another interface for r1 you
just add

 Variable[r1-eth0][in]:  ifInOctets.3
 Variable[r1-eth0][out]: ifInOctets.3

(Ohh, btw, you will need v0.34 for "ifInOctets.2" to
work--earlier versions require that you use the entire
OID name.)

later
steve
- - -