[rrd-users] constants

Neil Calvert ncalvert at cabletron.com
Mon Jan 17 19:43:43 MET 2000

Hi all

I don't know if this is currently a feature in RRD or not, but if not,
I'd like to register it as a 'nice to have'. The RRD databases I am
working on are tailor made to certain uses ie, frame relay port stats,
ethernet port stats, cisco router stats etc.

For a number of these reports it would be useful to have the ability to
place certain constants in the RRD database, for things like ifspeed.
This way this constant can be internally referenced with CDEFs etc to
provide bandwidth percentages. (Just an example of a possible use). The
advantage to this is that rather than having a script to do graph
generation pass in this constant via its command line or other
subroutine, you can just refer to a preset variable that you know the
value of. And if the value changes in future a quick rrdtune could
update everything without the need to go back and change scripts.

If it's already possible - how?! :)

If not, just file this under a 'my 2 cents' rant.

cheers

Neil