[rrd-users] Re: using rrd graphing component for ts data w/out db

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Jan 20 11:43:29 MET 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Re: using rrd graphing...:

*>
*> Thanks Tobi.
*>
*> Okay, have this working now.. one more thing thats bothering me..
*>
*> When I only have a very small number of samples in a period, rrd
*> wants to quantize into interval averages that are too big to look good.
*> Is there any way to turn off the periodic quantizing, ie just enter a
*> 'connect the dots' mode for short intervals with few samples?

no this is not implemented ...

*> Maybe, if not, theres a way inside fo the RPN language to request some
*> degree of interpolation, approaching this effect?
nope

*>
*>
*> (I'm looking at approx 45 data points at 1.5 minute intervals, and it
*>  is not attractive. LINE1, AVERAGE, very staircaseish)
well :-) good implementations of new features are always welcome ...

cheers
tobi

*>
*> Thanks again,
*>
*> 	dc
*>
*>
*> --- You said:
*>
*> Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] using rrd graphing component...:
*>
*> *> Greetings.
*>
*> *> 	However... I have my own external applications doing my db work,
*> *> and have no interest in duplicating that with rrd. I would just like to
*> *> use the graphical presentation portion. I have a list of timeseries data
*> *> (unixtime, datapoint) pairs which i'd love to graph over a variety of
*> *> intervals. I do not want to average the data, have it roll over in any
*> *> way, etc.
*>
*> noone has done it yet (to my knowledge), but it shuould not be to difficult
*> ... just reimplement RRD_Fetch for your db and relink ...
*>
*> cheers
*> tobi
*>