[rrd-users] Re: [rrd-developers] RRDtool algorithms and IEEE math compilerquestion

Y. Brett Sauer brett at wamnet.com
Thu Jan 20 23:43:06 MET 2000

Tobi,

Thank you for all your responses; they were very helpful.

A couple of follow-ups...

RE:  3b  -  The counter on the device stores bytes, with a max value of 2^32-1, but
I'm passing bits to the database:

update_rrdb($main::customers{$_}, $octetsin*8, $octetsout*8)

sub update_rrdb {
        my ($host, $bitsin, $bitsout) = @_;
        `${main::rrd_exec_path}/rrdtool update ${main::rrd_data_path}/${host}.rrd
N:$bitsin:$bitsout`;
}

RRDtool would appear to have no way of knowing what I'm feeding it, so I am going
to run into a problem.  (I verified this with some tests that made the counter
appear to roll over.)

Is there a way (besides storing bytes) to do what I am trying to do?

RE:  4b  -  The system is an SGI O2 running Irix 6.4.  I'm still trying to find
someone who knows about the compiler.  (I'm not a systems person.)

Thanks again.

Brett
--