[rrd-users] Re: DEF: CDEF: absolute path!!

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Jan 22 20:54:53 MET 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Re: DEF: CDEF: absolute path!!:

*> Siva.Namburi at nokia.com wrote:
*> >
*> > 	The DEF and CDEF doesn't seem to take the
*> > absolute path... for ex
*> >
*> >  DEF:mydelay=filename.rrd works but
*> >  DEF:mydelay=C:\netmonitor\netid\filename.rrd
*> > doesn't work. Is there a way to get around this problem on NT.
*>
*> I'm not sure but my guess is that the back slash is used as an escape
*> character inside perl.  Try both "C:\\netmonitor\\netid\\filename.rrd"
*> and "C:/netmonitor/netid/filename.rrd" as they may both do okay.

the : also has sepcial significance, so you certainly want to escape it ...
try \:

cheers
tobi
*>
*> >
*> > RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:24
*> > Does 0.5 here means it is half a second or 30 minutes.
*>
*> Neither. In the manual you can read that this is the xff setting which
*> is describes as:
*>                xff The xfiles factor defines what part of a
*>                consolidation interval may be made up from
*>                *UNKNOWN* data while the consolidated value is
*>                still regarded as known.
*> This is also discussed in the rrdtool tutorial.
*> It means that if RRDtool should use 10 samples to create one entry in
*> an RRA, 5 of them can be unknown and you still get a valid entry in the
*> RRA.  If 6 of the samples were unknown, you get an unknown entry.
*>
*> > Also,
*> > lets say you have created three RRA's like for the
*> > same DS "delay".
*> >
*> > RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600
*> > RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700
*> > RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:700
*> > How do you plot all the three at the same time
*> > hoping that they had gone thru one cycle of averages,
*> > since the "graph" command only knows about one average
*> > DEF:mydelay=$filename.rrd:delay:AVERAGE.
*> >
*> You can't.  RRDtool will use the RRA with the best possible resolution
*> and depending on the interval graphed, this is fetched from one of those
*> RRAs.
*>
*> regards,
*>