[rrd-users] Multiple targets in one RRD, and wrapping counters.

Chris Josephes cjoseph at mr.net
Tue Jan 25 21:33:11 MET 2000

Currently, I'm monitoring about 500+ hosts with MRTG2.8.9 and slowly but
surely I'm moving my way towards building yet another RRDTool frontend
that will take over the job.

One particular target we have is an aggregate of all of our core routers.
We've been playing around with it recently because we activated a couple
of OC3 circuits in the past week.

I'm not expecting very accurate data due to counter wraps on some hosts.
But I'm wondering how I could correct this with RRDTool.

One idea I had was to avoid saving aggregated data altogether.  Instead, I
would just create a RRD graph that would be built from the values in
individual RRDs.

For example:

rrdtool graph total.png \
	DEF:r1in=router1.rrd:inoctets:AVERAGE   \
	DEF:r2in=router2.rrd:inoctets:AVERAGE   \
	DEF:r1out=router1.rrd:outoctets:AVERAGE \
	DEF:r2out=router2.rrd:outoctets:AVERAGE \
	"CDEF:inoctets=r1in,r2in,+"             \
	"CDEF:outoctets=r1out,r2out,+"          \
	LINE2:inoctets#ff0000                   \
	AREA:outoctets#00ff00                   \

Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

 Chris Josephes      __/ MRNet/Onvoy   \
 chrisj at mr.net    __/   www.onvoy.com  /