[rrd-users] Re: Preventing counter wraps

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 4 18:02:18 MEST 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Preventing counter wraps:

*>
*> Is there any way to prevent RRDTool from detecting counter wraps ?
*>
*> I mean: when my equipment reloads itself, counters reset, and rrdtool
*> assumes it is a counter wrap, that is not, and generates peaks on the
*> graph.

1. make sure you define MIN and MAX rate values for the datasource this
   should catch most false positives ...

2. you can use DERIVE instead of counter ... this has no wrapp
   detection ...

*> I need a way to tell RRD not to assume counter wraps for an update made
*> just after a reboot.
*>
*> Please don't tell me to use rrd boundaries (min and max values), because
*> it can't work on fully loaded gigabit interfaces (my peaks are about
*> 100Mb).

if you were polling the 64bit hi* counters you could ...

cheers
tobi

*> Thanks a lot for any help !
*>