[rrd-users] Re: Preventing counter wraps

Jerome Fleury jerome.fleury at none.net
Wed Jul 5 13:16:04 MEST 2000

alex at ergens.op.Het.Net wrote:

> Er...
>
> Jerome Fleury wrote:
>
> > But I don't want to skip wrap detection :)
> [...]
> > What about a "nowrap" option to rrd_update ?
>
> Perhaps you understand what you mean; I certainly don't.
>
> Originally you asked a way around these false wraps.  This should be
> done in the front end (perhaps with that "U", perhaps some other way).
> This allows you to keep the real wraps which will occur frequently
> when monitoring 32-bit counters on 100mbps interfaces.

Yes, it finally works (updating with a U). But it would be better to be
able to give the new value to rrd instead of setting "U", because then
you don't miss values just after the reboot. I mean if you poll just
after the reboot (say at 09:30) and set "U" then you miss a value that
in fact isn't unknown.

OK, maybe I'm not clear enough... hard to explain.

--
Jerome Fleury      none Networks / Freesbee
Network Team