[rrd-users] Graph values: MRTG vs. RRDTool

NAIL, THOMAS (SBIS) nthomas at sbis.sbc.com
Fri Jul 7 20:20:18 MEST 2000

Hello,
I'm a newbie to the RRDTool world and I have been faithfully following the
tutorial in setting up an .rrd to measure traffic on my local ethernet
interface. Everything seems to work fine: the database updates without a
problem with a cron script and I can generate graphs and view them. The
problem I'm seeing is that the values graphed in RRDTool are nowhere near
what is shown by my running MRTG install. I've checked to make sure I'm not
comparing bytes against bits in the two graphs (bytes in both cases, sorry
Alex) and that the averaging is the same in both cases. I don't know what
I'm doing wrong. I'm using rrdtool 1.0.17 on a Solaris 2.6(x86) box. The
scripts are below:

#!/bin/ksh
#test rrdtool script for measuring interface traffic
#
IN=`/opt/bin/snmpget mybox public interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets.2 |
cut -d' ' -f3`
OUT=`/opt/bin/snmpget mybox public interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets.2
| cut -d' ' -f3`
/opt/bin/rrdtool update /usr/home/sciolist/scripts/rrdt/kepler_test.rrd
N:$IN:$OUT

#!/bin/ksh
#
rrdtool graph day.gif --start -86400 \
DEF:inoctets=kepler_test.rrd:input:AVERAGE \
DEF:outoctets=kepler_test.rrd:input:AVERAGE \
AREA:inoctets#00FF00:"In traffic" \
LINE1:outoctets#0000FF:"Out traffic"
rrdtool graph week.gif --start -604800 \
DEF:inoctets=kepler_test.rrd:input:AVERAGE \
DEF:outoctets=kepler_test.rrd:input:AVERAGE \
AREA:inoctets#00FF00:"In traffic" \
LINE1:outoctets#0000FF:"Out traffic"

Tom Nail
SBCIS - Capacity Planning