[rrd-users] Re: Some question (VRULE & FETCH)

Dave Plonka plonka at doit.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 28 17:06:45 MEST 2000

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 03:12:47PM +0200, Paolo Barbato wrote:
<snip>
> 1) I'd like to use VRULE to obtain a vertical bar in my graph. I use
> as time word "midnigth", but a syntax error come. These are my lines
>
> rrdtool graph /usr/users/rfx_web/wwwsc/jet/FTPdaily.png \
> --imgformat PNG \
> --vertical-label byte/s \
> --start -180000 \
> --width 600 \
> --height 100 \
> DEF:smalldata=/web/paolo/proc/jetftp.rrd:small:AVERAGE \
> DEF:bigdata=/web/paolo/proc/jetftp.rrd:big:AVERAGE \
> VRULE:midnight#ff0000 \
        ^^^^^^^^

	From Tobi's "rrdfetch" docs, it looks you can only use the term
	`midnight' to specify the *time* of day...

	However, in this VRULE context, what you need is a full
	date/time spec that can be translated into a time_t (e.g.
	seconds since the epoch.)

So, if what you're wanting to do is to have a VRULE marking *every*
midnight in the graph, see my followup which was posted to the list
recently in a thread called "VRULEs marking midnight(s)".  It included
an example script called "midnights".

It's currently being archived here:

   http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/rrd-users/msg01422.html

   http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/pantomime/midnights

<snip>

> 2) There's a way to obtain by fetch a single value such as AVERAGE or
> MAX for a period of time. At now I use graph function to obtain this
> single values.

That's the way to do it - use graph and ask it to just PRINT the result
rather than producing an image.  (I.e. graph is useful for more than
just graphing...)

Dave

--
plonka at doit.wisc.edu  http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka  ARS:N9HZF  Madison, WI