[rrd-users] Some advice.

Winton Davies wdavies at goto.com
Sat Jun 10 22:19:17 MEST 2000

Ok,

  I think I have it - it was the heartbeat variable that was wrong -
it needed to be > than 24 hours, rather than =.

Next thing - the FETCH command is now working, but instead of a bunch
of nice integers, they have been
changed to float's which are obviously some kind of interpolation
between the actual data I entered....
Can someone explain this - how do I avoid this, or is it just giving
me the points between ? Looking
at the dump though, it definitely seems to have lost the original
data I put in, which means I couldn't get
the price point right.

Let me explain again perhaps. Once a day (at some time during the
day), I find out whether the price
of commodity C is $X dollars. Next Day (again sometime during the
day, not the same time), I find out
it is $Y dollars. The day after it might be $Y dollars again.

I want the graph/data to show that all through the day on day 1, the
price was X, and then Y on day 2 and day 3.

I'm sorry to be obviously abusing RRDTOOL's strong points in data
flow graphing etc, but everyone has
told me RRD is the best tool for what I am trying to do.

Cheers,
   Winton

rm new1.rrd
rrdtool create new1.rrd  --start  929217466 --step 86400
DS:price:GAUGE:86500:U:U RRA:MAX:0:1:365

rrdtool update new1.rrd 929217467:60
rrdtool update new1.rrd 929303867:67
rrdtool update new1.rrd 929390267:93
rrdtool update new1.rrd 929476667:69
rrdtool update new1.rrd 929563067:94
rrdtool update new1.rrd 929649467:93
rrdtool update new1.rrd 929735867:59

rrdtool fetch new1.rrd MAX --resolution 86400 --start  929217466
--end   929735867

Gives:

  929145600: NaN
  929232000: 6.6999518371e+01