[rrd-users] Dealing with counters which reset

Mark Parker mark.parker at beacon.com.au
Wed Jun 21 04:58:13 MEST 2000

At present I am using a third party bandwidth software which I have
configured to report out the 'ABSOLUTE' value (that is not the cumulative
bps, but the bps for the last 5 minutes) of bps for different protocols etc,
and I have RRDTool graphing this well.

The difficulty I am having is that the counter is reset every night, and
this appears to break my graphs, as after the nightly reset the graphs only
show a single 'spike' of data at the time of the reset, and no other data
seems to affect the outcome of the graphs.

Is there a way for the data sources to handle this regular resetting of the
counters, or is it a case of something in the graph command which I have to
use. The counter is reset at the same time every night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And if I need to explain my
situation more clearly please let me know.

Many thanks

Mark P