[rrd-users] Re: Graphing total bandwidth usage

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 2 22:10:53 MET 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Re: Graphing total bandwidth usage:

*> On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 05:04:07PM +0100, alex at ergens.op.Het.Net wrote:
*> > Simon Amor wrote:
*> > >
*> > >  I've just started using RRDtool-1.0.13 to log byte counts for each port on
*> > > each switch so we can monitor bandwidth for each server. The values are
*> > > combined in/out bytes instead of separate, but this isn't too much of a
*> > > problem. When I try and graph the information, I end up with what looks like
*> > > deltas rather than absolute values.
*> >
*> > That is correct.  They look like delta's but in fact they represent the
*> > delta of the data divided by delta of the time.  This way, you should
*> > end up with octets per second.
*> > If you want to log your actual counter values, you should use the GAUGE
*> > data type, not the COUNTER.  Even in that case, you may end up with
*> > values that are not exactly what you put in the RRD (due to interpolation)
*>
*> If I use rrdtool tune to change the type from COUNTER to GAUGE, do I need to
*> zero the rrd to get rid of data which isn't absolute values or does it store
*> the actual absolute value and calculate deltas when generating the graph?

rrd stores the processed values ...

but you don't want to store counter values ... I am pretty sure ...

cheers
tobi
*>
*>   Simon