[rrd-users] Max # rrd can draw on graph

Sungchul Park scpark at gen128.com
Tue Nov 21 16:41:26 MET 2000

    I posted same question on MRTG mailing list, but I couldn't get answer
anymore.

    I have a customer who has gigabit ethernet switch. He is monitoring that
machine with MRTG now. Almost all things are going right. Except MRTG can not
draw total traffic of the switch in BIT PER SECOND. The total traffic of that
switch is over then 2G bps, He can get a graph in bytes per second.
He want (strongly) to see the total traffic of his switch in bit per second,
because other all mrtg report is represented in bit per second. He believes
traffic report in BPS look better than Bytes per second to his boss and
customers.

    Many MRTG users said 'Try 64bit counter of SNMP V2c'. But, I already use it.
My MRTG can retrieves traffic correctly and makes good graph in bytes per second.
The problem is just MRTG can not draw graph in bit per second.

    I believe this is because of limitation of 32bit integer that is used by MRTG
when it draw graph. The peak value of the total traffic of my customers  witch is
bigger than maxinum value of 32bit integer. I mean it exceed 2G bps. So, MRTG look
like making overflow error.

    I've heard rrd can log non integer number. This mean RRD can draw 2G bps
traffic? Do you think RRD can solve my MRTG problem? Do you have any good idea
to solve my problem without changing to RRD?

Park, Sungchul / mailto:scpark at gen128.com
gen128, inc. - The internet company powered by open source.
http://www.gen128.com / Voice : +82-2-3017-0128 / Fax : +82-2-3017-1128
238-9 poi kangnam, #601 poongjoen bldg., Seoul 135-250, Republic of Korea