[rrd-users] Re: Using RRDtool for ATM

David Fox davefox at csd.net
Wed Nov 29 19:28:28 MET 2000

Jim,

I have fairly large ATM network that I monitor with MRTG and RRD. I only
watch the bytes in and out of the physical interface. I just use the
regular interface syntax and not a specific MIB.

I've been asked by serveral people that watch the MRTG setup that I
maintain, if MRTG can monitor the individual SVCs that exist on each
physical interface. In my case, the answer is no. The ATM switches I use
don't break the data down that far, but even if they did, every time a
circuit is torn down and MRTG queried for that circuit, it would either
get an error or no change in the byte count (depending on the switch). Any
time a new circuit is created, MRTG would need to be reconfigured to watch
that new circuit. When the new circuit is torn down, MRTG would again
either get errors or no new data.

I suppose if someone were interested in writing something that grabbed a
mapping of what SVCs mapped to what IP addresses on remote systems, then
grab the data from that SVC (the byte count would probably start at
zero which may cause some problems). Biggest problem I can see is that it
would be specific to that vendor's hardware.

Going back to my configuration, I just watch the byte count of the
physical interface, I'm only really interested in how busy it is (so I can
plan for more capacity if needed) rather than how many bytes are send down
each SVC.

Dave