[rrd-users] Re: MRTG and Scalability

Jesper Skriver jesper at skriver.dk
Tue Apr 3 19:23:48 MEST 2001

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 09:35:23AM -0700, Dean Singh wrote:

> 	I am running MRTG 2.9.7 on a Solaris Intel Box.  It is a Pentium II
> 333.  With 198 Megs of RAM.  And 2 9 gig SCSI HDs.  No Raid.  My server is
> going very slow now.  And I have about 100+ cfgs running.  From about 6 or 7
> differnt users.  Each have their own cron.  Running batch files.  Any ideas
> and tips on what i should do.  Both Software and/or Hardware tips would be
> considered.  And if you guys could.  Also tell me your Configuration and how
> many CFGs are you running?

It's I/O bound, so you need to get the I/O load split across as many
drives as possible.

With a homegrown rrdtool based application we monitor approx 35000
interfaces on a FreeBSD box with a RAID 0/1 filesystem on 26 10000 rpm
drives.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)