[rrd-users] Re: migration from mrtg to RRD: strange gifs

Luis Marta lmarta at fccn.pt
Wed Apr 4 11:37:04 MEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kassies", Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 8:51 PM

> I'm using the log2rrd.pl script to migrate from mrtg to rrd, without losing
> the history. It works great.
> I'm trying to understand the difference between the way mrtg stores data
> into its logfile and how rrd stores it.
>
> The reason for this is that when I convert my mrtg logs to rrd and create a
> nice gif, the gifs don't match.
> Well they match ok, but the displayed data in/out rate in bits of an
> interface isn't equal.
>
> Now I'm quite sure the mrtg gif shows the correct interface i/o. The gif
> generated from the rrd seems to be averaged somehow for it has lower values.

Hi.
The problem is your mrtg config files had the option "bits" set. So when MRTG
gets the values from the logs (they are in bytes), it multiplies them by 8 to
show them in the graph (in bits).
So all you have to do is change the log2rrd perl code to multiply the values it
receives from the file.log by 8.

Regards,

Luís Marta.