[rrd-users] HP-UX 10.20 and Perl 5.6.0

Mike Hassell mhassell at dnnc.com
Wed Apr 4 22:53:07 MEST 2001

Hello RRDers,

I'm having a real difficult time compiling rrdtool-1.0.33 (perl portion) on
an HP-UX 10.20 box.  I've successfully installed the program and can use the
command line programs just fine.  I've setup my .rrds and created graphs,
etc.  However I've been using shell scripts to grab all my SNMP data and
dump into the rrds and I'd like to try the perl route.

So I started off by just adding 'use lib ("/opt/rrdtool/lib/perl"); in my
perl script and they kept bombing out with this:  usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved
symbol: rrd_clear_error (code).

So then I moved on to recompiling the perl portion of the rrdtool code.
Here in lies the problem I'm facing.  It seems that rrdtool configures
itself by looking at the config of the perl install, which in this case is a
big problem.  I used the packaged perl install (v5.6.0) on HP-UX and it
works just fine, but it used the default (bundled) cc compiler and in turn
rrdtool wants to use it as well.  Well the cc compiler on HP-UX 10.20 is
pure shit, so I've been hand editing the Makfile in the ./perl-shared
directory to get things to work.  Here's what I've done:

changed cc to gcc
changed +z flags to -fPIC
removed +Onolimit from ld flags
changed the 'OTHERLDFLAGS = -L../src/.libs/ -lrrd_private -lm' to:
'OTHERLDFLAGS=-L../src/.libs/ -lm'

I have binutils, gcc, gnu make etc installed, so I know I can do this, but
I'd like to do it without having to recompile perl (since I have production
scripts that utilize it).

Any suggestions?  I can even get it to compile when I make the above
changes, but when calling it through a perl script it bombs out with:
usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: rrd_clear_error (code).

Is there anyway I can tell the configure script to disregard the perl config
and look for everything on it's own?

Any help would be greatly appericated.

- Mike