[rrd-users] RESIZE Bug?

Cliff Daniel cdaniel at Level3.net
Mon Apr 23 03:05:30 MEST 2001

Simply trying to increase the 5 minute samples to have a retention of
28 days.

Before:
rra[0].rows = 600
rra[1].rows = 600
rra[2].rows = 600
rra[3].rows = 600
rra[4].rows = 600
rra[5].rows = 600
rra[6].rows = 600
rra[7].rows = 600

rrdtool resize test.rrd 0 GROW 7464
mv resize.rrd test.rrd
rrdtool resize test.rrd 1 GROW 7464
mv resize.rrd test.rrd

After:
rra[0].rows = 8064
rra[1].rows = 8064
rra[2].rows = 600
rra[3].rows = 600
rra[4].rows = 600
rra[5].rows = 600
rra[6].rows = 600
rra[7].rows = 600

Everything works fine except RRAs 2,3 (Weekly Views 0.5:6:600) were truncated
to NaN's for the first 5 days of the week.  I'm not sure exactly were it breaks
but if I only increase the rows by 1200 everything stays in tact.  However,
a second incremental GROW by another 1200 will cause NaN's in rra's 2 and 3.

This is in version 1.0.28, and a quick glance at rrd_resize.c in
1.0.33 shows no changes.  Has anyone had such experiences with resize,
and any possible work arounds?

Regards,
Cliff