[rrd-users] Consolidation Factors and Steps

Gellatly, Laurie Laurie.Gellatly at vodafone.com.au
Mon Apr 30 01:43:28 MEST 2001

Hi,
I'd like to make sure I have the correct understanding of
Consolidation Factors and Steps.
>From the manual:
rrdtool create ... [--step|-s step] ... [ RRA: CF:xff:steps:rows]
Please note there is a "step" value and "steps" as well and I
talk about both below.

If I have an RRA that has a steps value of 1 then I believe that
this means that every point that is entered into the rrd should
end up in this RRA. As another way of looking at this, if I
enter 3 values over step/3 intervals with a CF of Average,
then does this actually average the values being entered into
the RRA? I'd assumed that the CF does not get considered
when "steps" was 1?

If my assumption is correct that "steps" = 1 means actual
data points entered (time period adjusted if needed), then
the CF is not relevant in this case. This leads me to
believe that keeping more than 1 RRA with different CFs
and all with steps=1 is a waste. A change to rrd_fetch
would allow any CF with steps=1 to be returned if the
interval requested was "acceptable".

Comments?

Thanks			...Laurie :{)

This correspondence is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential or legally privileged information or both.
No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
mistransmission.  If you receive this correspondence in error, please
immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender.  You
must not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this correspondence
if you are not the intended recipient.

except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to
be the views of Vodafone.