[rrd-users] A little help with creating RRDs from scratch

J. Michael Lipsey mlipsey at va.rr.com
Sat Aug 4 00:57:52 MEST 2001

First off, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum or if I should send
this question to the developer's forum...let me know.

Here's the low down:

I've created a script that goes and takes a look on all of my Cable Routers
and counts how many cable modems are registered. In turn, that same script
takes those numbers and inputs them into an RRD database from which it
grapha using RRDtool's graphing function.

The purpose of this script is to store the data into a database and create a
graphical representation of that data. Also, I create reports from the RRDs
for my traffic bearing interfaces as well as these modem couting databases.
That is why I wanted an RRD database for them.

My problem is creating the initial database that will allow me to poll the
way I want. I am just not sure exactly what the best way to set up the
database is.

Here is what I have to create the database so far:

$rrdtool create  /opt/mrtg/var/$ubrs/$g\.$i.rrd --start $startime
DS:number:GAUGE:900:0:500  RRA:MAX:0.25:1:500

I think I have the DS info pretty well the way I want it. The heart beat is
set at 900 seconds (15 minutes) and that is how long I have between polling.
Zero is my minumum and 500 is my Maximum but that will change to a "U" for
unknown. I think my main difficulty is the RRA. I would like it to show the
MAX, that is all that matters since I'm just counting them up and putting
that number into the database. All of the numbers input are MAXes and no
averages are needed. Then there is 0.25 for every quarter hour, I'm not sure
what I should put for the "Steps" or what I should have for the "Rows".

I want to be able to create a weekly, monthly and a yearly graph from these
RRAs.

Thanks for any assistance.

J. Michael Lipsey
Network Engineer
RoadRunner Western Region
mlipsey at va.rr.com

This message sent with 100% recycled electrons...

-- Type: application/ms-tnef