[rrd-users] RRD usage and disk I/O

Michael Heiming michael at heiming.de
Sat Aug 4 12:53:17 MEST 2001

Hello everyone,

I'm currently developing a RRD/MRTG solution, my problem is, running
MRTG/RRD from cron, that with about 20 machines at the moment and
around 20 .rrd files per target, the load gets pretty high, while
opening all those small files.

I'm using a PC & Linux, the bad disk performance may be due to the use
of IDE, I'll switch to SCSI (U-160).

However, it'll run if all is setup well against a few hundred
machines, so I would like to know your experience and if running as
daemon could improve things? I don't want to use one big config file,
one per target, as I do now.

Another thing, I did write some scripts to auto magically setup the
.cfg for a selected target, sadly I had to deploy everything on my
own, using 'snmpwalk' and 'tkmib'. I could only find examples, for Win
NT and Linux, which I don't really need. But I couldn't find any
examples related to HP-UX, Solaris, SCO and Tru64. There seems to be
no mib which would give me some data about disk I/O on the target..:-(

Thanks for your time/help.

Michael Heiming