[rrd-users] Re: create question + y axis question

Alejandro Diego Garin linuxero2 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 14:40:17 MEST 2001

On Thursday 16 August 2001 03:53, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
> Alejandro Diego Garin wrote:
> > I need to collect the data between 60 seg, so I have created this rrd:
> >
> > --step = 60
> > --start = (I have logs from 2 months ago)
> > "DS:concurrent:GAUGE:60:U:U"
> > "RRA:MAX:0.5:1:525600"

[...]
> > I have seen some configurations that uses varios RRA for the same
> > data source, but I don't understand why is needed?
>
> It will work.  However the standard graph width is 400 pixels so it
> makes sense to store 400*24*60 intervals.

[...]
> Just understand what happens while creating the yearly graph:
> RRDtool will have to take 1440 values and find the largest of
> those values.  The result, one value, is plotted on the graph.
> This process has to be done for each and every pixel.
>
> If you'd have an RRA that already did this at update time, it
> would not have to be done at graph time.  Also: you'd only have
> 400 rows, not 400*1440=576000.  Ergo, you'd be saving resources,
> namely disk space, and you don't have to wait for your graph when
> creating it on demand (such as 14all.cgi does).
>
> So, you don't have to have these extra RRAs but it may help.
>
> HTH

Thanks for your answer!, I didn't notice the standard width and the posible
delay for graphics creation, so I will check my rrd creation to save
resources and time.
I have seen one thing that I don't understand when the graphics is created,
the vertical axis naming.... in some graphics this appears as expected
(eg 0 to 1000 concurrent proccess) but in another graphics I saw

1.2 k |
[...]    |
0.3 k |
0.2 k |
0.1 k |
0.0 k |
        ------------------------------
	thu   fri   sat   .......

I dont know how to control this naming, why is this happend with one rrd and
not with another?
(at this moment I have five identical rrd db created and I am doing a few
graph from each one)

thanks for you help.

cheers,

--