[rrd-users] Re: Upgrading perl for rrdtool?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 17 07:34:07 MEST 2001

Yesterday Paul C. Williamson wrote:

 | I am considering upgrading from my current version of perl (5.005003)
 | to 5.6.1.  Are there any *gotchas* I need to look out for?  I've never
 | upgraded perl.  Always had to move to another box and do a fresh
 | install, but unfortunately, my box is powerful enough that I don't
 | need a new one :-(
 |
 | The only things I really have one here are apache, mod_perl, rrd and
 | gd.  Do I need to recompile RRDTool under the new version?  Do I
 | need to move or copy any libraries around?

we have had no problems with the move, but this may be OS and perl
compile dependant ... recompiling rrdtool is not a big deal in any
case ...

what we also do is NOT remove the old version of perl but install
them in parallel so that we can easily switch back and forth ...
http://computing.ee.ethz.ch/sepp

cheers
tobi

 | Thanks,
 | Paul
 |

 | --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ mailto:oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker