[rrd-users] DERIVE or COUNTER

Michael Wells michael at wells.org.uk
Sat Aug 18 16:27:09 MEST 2001

Hi George, Alex, all,

> No, setting maximum values for the counters is not a complete solution. If
> the counters get reset when the value of the counter is high, you will get a
> wrap that produces a wrong result that is also less than the maximum you set
> and thus will be recorded as a value. You still get wrong data in your
> database.

I read the manual page and see your point. Would it
be fair to say that *any* COUNTER that is zeroed on reboot would be
better off being a DERIVE? I'm not sure that detecting the difference
between an overflow and a zeroing is worth attempting, and that seems to
mean this is the only 'correct' solution.

My graphs are looking great now, by the way. ;-)

Cheers
Michael