[rrd-users] RRD updates not being stored correctly?

Travis Brown travis at sharinga.com
Tue Aug 21 08:39:58 MEST 2001

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where l am going
wrong with
this. Basically l have a perl program which collects statistics from our

system, when the program is intially run it creates datastores as:

/usr/bin/rrdtool create total.rrd --start 998374575 --step 60
DS:total:GAUGE:120:0:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.1:1:4320 RRA:MAX:0.1:1:4320
RRA:MIN:0.1:1:4320

So from then on every minute l send this datastore my collected data:

rrdtool update total.rrd 998374635:9
rrdtool update total.rrd 998374695:48
rrdtool update total.rrd 998374755:30
etc

As you can see l send the time that the data was collated and the
result. However, when l look in the datastore using the rrdtool fetch
command as:

rrdtool fetch total.rrd AVERAGE --start 998374575 --end 998374995

I get values such as:
998374560: nan
998374620: 9.0000000000e+00
998374680: 3.6250000000e+01
998374740: 3.4500000000e+01
etc

I can see that the intervals are different, however l am still unaware
how to correct this. I am simply trying to achieve a graph at the end of

the day that has the values 9, 48, 30.

NOTE: the initial times for the rrdtool create start etc are generated
when this system is turned on.

Collectively l am gathering stats every minute and sending them at that
time, but they are not being logged as that. eg l can't really have had
3.625 people have logged on in the last minute, they either logged on or

they didn't?

Thanking you in advance,
Travis