[rrd-users] Problem in updating a RRD database through an external script

José Maria Costa Pereira jose.pereira at telecelvodafone.pt
Tue Aug 28 18:02:56 MEST 2001

Hi everybody!

	I have a simple script which outputs the following:

		rrdupdate database.rrd N:5:2

	The numbers 5 and 2 are only an example. It may return other
numbers. But one thing is for sure it always returns integer numbers. My
database has 2 data sources.

	First question: The N stands for NOW (in N:5:2)?

	Second question: Do I need to have a \n in the end of the line:
rrdupdate ....  ?

	Third question: This is the error I get when running the script that
outputs the rrdupdate

		D:\scripts>perl c:\mrtg-2.9.17\bin\mrtg stats.cfg
		Daemonizing MRTG ...
		Do Not close this window. Or MRTG will die
		ERROR: Cannot update d:\mrtg\pri\database.rrd with
'999014266:3:2:-1'
		expected 2 data source readings (got 3) from
999014266:3:2:-1:...

	I hope I've made myself clear. Thanks in advance for the help!!

	Best regards,

	José Maria Costa Pereira
	DRE - Corporate Networks
	jose.pereira at telecelvodafone.pt

This is my .cfg file:

		WorkDir: d:\mrtg
		IconDir: d:\mrtg\images
		ThreshDir: d:\mrtg\thresh
		PathAdd: c:\rrdtool-1.0.33\bin
		LibAdd: c:\rrdtool-1.0.33\perl-shared
		LogFormat: rrdtool
		Options[_]: growright, nopercent, unknaszero, gauge,
integer, nobanner
		Suppress[_]: wmy
		Refresh: 600
		WriteExpires: Yes
		RunAsDaemon: Yes
		Interval: 5

		target[database]: `perl d:\scripts\pri.pl 10.1.1.1 public`
		directory[database]: pri
		maxbytes[database]: 100

This message may contain confidential information or privileged material,
and is intended only for the individual(s) named. If you are not in the
named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please
request a hard-copy version.