[rrd-users] Re: graphing using particular RRA

Kempf, Reed rkempf at rightnow.com
Mon Dec 3 18:24:43 MET 2001

Hi Libor,

I have done just exactly that process.  My platforms are RedHat Linux 6.2,
Oracle 8.1.7 and php 4.6 to display the graphs in a web page.

These are the steps that I took to do this.
1. Created oracle stored procedure which gathers past info from the db and
dumps them to a flat file in a specific format (spaces between values for
awk purposes).
2. Created korn shell script which creates rrdtool database on the fly, then
uses awk to populate the database from the flat file.
3. Within the above korn shell, a graph is also generated to standard output
which php will pick up and display a web browser.  (you can create named png
files though).
4. Removed the rrdtool database at the end of the above korn shell script,
to avoid clutter on servers. (I didn't want a bunch of unusable rrdtool
databases hanging around).

You can use any type of database you want to store values, the important
thing is to query the database for those values and have some way of
building an rrdtool database on the fly and appending the database values to
the new rrdtool database.  Oracle is really handy in that I used stored
procedures.  I'm not sure what mechanism you would use for dbase to get
those values into the rrdtool.

If you would like to look at my methodology and some sample scripts, let me
know.

ReedK