[rrd-users] Collection of statistics

Richard Rose rik+rrdtool at little-black-kitty.net
Mon Dec 31 16:25:12 MET 2001

Hello all,

I'm looking at attempting to graph network usage on a FreeBSD server I
run, and am trying to work out how to collect the data I want. What I
would like to do is collect data throughput, broken down by application
level protocol (DNS, SSH, HTTP, finger, and so forth).

I am trying to get number of {,kilo,mega}bytes transferred, not the
number of packets, since certain protocols, such as ssh will transmit
one packet per character typed, whereas HTTP will send full packets.

Does anyone already do this? Does anyone know of a cunning way of doing
this in theory?

Thanks in advance,

rik