[rrd-users] how does rrd ahndle router reloads ?

Patrick Ammann Patrick.Ammann at nextra.ch
Mon Feb 5 11:32:38 MET 2001

Hi,

I just was wondering how RRD would handle router reloads. Currently i'm
monitoring some cisco routers (interfaces, memory etc.). The problem i had
is that from time to time i can see some peaks in my graphs and i couldn't
find a reason for this peaks. First i thought there were some warps of
counters but i was told that RRD can handle those warps. SO i looked closer
to the database and now i'm sure that the peaks occur every time a router
reloads. The peaks are really confusing me because the graph i attached is
from a physical 2 MBit line so there is no way to have a 50 MB peak on this
line.

Did anyone made the same experiences like i did ?

I think that the problem could be solved when there were some min and max
values but the capacity of the leased lines is changing quite often and i
don't want to set all the min and max values each time. Is there another
way to get rid of this problem ?

Is it possible to let the RRD check if the actual value of octets is
smaller than the last one stored in the database and if so just put a NAN
in the database ? This would cause a missing value and also counter warps
won't be handelt with this change but in my case this doesn't occur very
often so i prefer loosing one data sample instead of makeing the hole graph
unusable.

Is there a simple way to modify the RRD Source ? Anybody did it already or
does anyone have a better solution ?

I just attach the graph and the datafiles in kind of someone want to look
at the datas.

Thanks for the feedback.
Patrick

Patrick Ammann