[rrd-users] Re: Illegal Attempt to Update, v2

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Feb 8 21:44:17 MET 2001

Today Clifton Royston wrote:

 | On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 04:24:04PM +0100, Thomas Franchetti wrote:
 | >  * which proofs that it is a good thing that rrdtool refuses to jump
 | >  * around in time :-)
 | >  *
 | >  * tobi
 | >
 | > in this case... ;-)
 | >
 | > i am monitoring bgp updates using rrdtool to visualise this. but it's
 | > neccessary to re-insert data sometimes (eg it data arrives late or
 | > because of some insertion delays, ...)
 | >
 | > it would be nice to go back to a definite time starting inserting
 | > data again. i'm not thinking about working around this security
 | > feature ;-) but i think it would be nice if there where a new command
 | > like 'rrdtool goback myrrd.rrd -86400' to erase last day's data in
 | > order to refill it again.
 |
 |   I'd like to see something like that too.  It seems a nice compromise
 | between the desire to roll the clock back on purpose sometimes, and the
 | desire for RRD to ensure it is used the "right way" normally.

please note, that mrtgs inability to alter the past is sort of
glued into the design it is not an artificial barrier ... rather
adding to ability to alter the past would be a MAJOR (!!)
undertaking and potentially rather inacurate on top of that ... the
roll back might just about be doable ... if there is anybody who
wants to provide a patch for this and needs coatching, let me know

cheers
tobi

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich