[rrd-users] migrating from rateup to rrdtool

"Piret, Benoît" Benoit.Piret at bt.be
Mon Feb 12 16:27:28 MET 2001

Hi there,
I would like to migrate from rateup to rrdtool.
In parallel of this migration I would like to extend the 5 minutes storage
to about 40 days - I have read that it was possible with RRDTool :
   rrdtool create myrouter.rrd         \
            DS:input:COUNTER:600:U:U   \
            DS:output:COUNTER:600:U:U  \
            RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:11520    \
            RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700      \
            RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775     \
            RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797    \
            RRA:MAX:0.5:1:11520         \
            RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700          \
            RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775         \
            RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797

I have also read concerning such a migration
"mrtg will take all your old .log files and convert them to .rrd format.
(The .log files don't get touched in the process, so if things don't work
out they are still there.) ". I guess conversion will done assuming old MRTG
sampling timing ?

I have no problem that old data is stored in old MRTG sampling method but as
soon as migration is done, I would like to enter the new sampling scheme.

Where should I define this new (RRD) sampling scheme ?

On the other hand, I have MRTG2.8.12. Do I need a more recent version to
understand  LogFormat: rrdtool ?

Thanks in advance.

Benoit

Benoit Piret