[rrd-users] Re: Graph like functionality when fetching data

Philip Molter philip at datafoundry.net
Mon Feb 19 19:23:44 MET 2001

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 06:31:28PM +0100, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
: Philip Molter wrote:
: >
: >
: > The RRD manpage for rrdgraph says this:
: >
: >   Apart from generating graphs, it can also extract numerical reports.
: >
: > Is this referring to the GPRINT instructions or, is there an ability
:
: Whatever you do with the GPRINT function, is PRINTed in the Graph.
: If you leave out the G, you end up with PRINT.

Well, sort of not really.  The thing is, I could definitely do half
of what I needed to do with a PRINT statement, but if I want to do
anything with that return value, I need to trap STDOUT (I'm working
in Perl, btw), and then read the value in, etc.  The other major
caveat is that I don't really want to generate the graph, I just
want the data results.

What I'd really like is to be able to get a data return like RRD
fetch gives you, but rather than getting a table/listing of DS
values at each interval, get a listing of DEF and CDEF values at
each interval, as well as be able to get AVG, MIN, MAX, etc.

Basically, I want fetch-like capabilities on data generated by
graph-like arguments.

* Philip Molter
* DataFoundry.net
* http://www.datafoundry.net/