[rrd-users] Re: odd spikes due to early resets

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Tue Feb 20 20:32:07 MET 2001

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 09:51:02AM +1030, BAARDA, Don wrote:
> Hence the probability of incorrectly interpreting a reset as a valid wrap
> is;
>
> 	err_probability = (specified_max / measurable_max)
>
> 	where:
>
> 	measurable_max = (counter_max / step)
>
> 	For a typical application of a 32bit counter, 1Mbps interface, and
> 5min step this works out as;
>
> 	err_probability = ( (10^6 / 8) / ( 2^32 / 300) ) = 0.8%
>
> 	This is _very_ low!!!

I have to disagree with you on this, if I understand what you are
calculating!

A probability of nearly 1% in a given sample is a very high probability
when you are doing samples on thousands of interfaces, thousands of
times per day.

It brings the probability of invalid spikes in the data to near
certainty - which is exactly what many users are complaining about and
discussing remedies for.

  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
                  "WWJD?  JWRTFM!" - Scott Dorsey (kludge)