[rrd-users] Re: odd spikes due to early resets

Matt Ashfield mda at unb.ca
Tue Feb 20 21:19:30 MET 2001

Hi,

>Data storage side - set the RRD max to the speed of the interface
>instead of leaving it unset; if the interface speed is high, set a
>realistic max for real traffic (and accept that this might cause the
>loss of data or "invisibility" of genuine peaks); switch to DERIVE,
>again set a realistic max, and also set an RRD min of 0, which will
>eliminate a larger range of value changes (whenever it goes negative)
>at the cost of losing all genuine counter wraps.

When you say set it to the max speed of the interface, shouldn't this be the
max speed multiplied by my interval? So if I have a 10Mbps interface, and my
interval is 900 seconds, then my MAX would be 9000Mbps for that interval?

>Operations side - Try to convince your operators to not use "clear
>counters" on routers, switches, or other devices which are subject to
>this problem.

Is this something that can be configured on most routers?

Thanks for all your commments!

Cheers

Matt
mda at unb.ca