[rrd-users] How many samples do I really need in my rrd datafile

Braendle at medianet.freinet.de Braendle at medianet.freinet.de
Wed Feb 21 14:29:46 MET 2001

Hi there,

I have a little problem  with rrdtool that makes me crazy:

I've read all manual I've found and the only thing
which may help me was something under the following URL

http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/tutorial/rrdtutorial.html

at the end of this mail.

Here is my Problem:

I want to use 60 second instead of 300 seconds between my samples.
Do I have to store 5 times the amount of data to get the same
results (graphs) via rrdcgi?
e.g. 5 * 600  1 minute samples
     6 * 700 30 minute samples
     5 * 775  2 hour samples
or is it enough that I only multiply the first two values with 5

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance for all your help

J. Braendle