[rrd-users] Newbie needs a little help

Matt Ashfield mda at unb.ca
Wed Jan 17 21:56:06 MET 2001

Hi All,

I'm new to the rrdtool world, so please bare with me.
The situation is this. I have a tonne of data that I would like to convert
graphs using rrdtool. I have collected the data on 15 minute intervals using
snmpgets (it's router stats). Anyways, I have read the tutorial and such and
have done the following:

I created my rrd database as follows:
(note, I was just trying to load in September 2000's numbers for now, so the
time 967777200 corresponds to Sept. 1, 2000,  but would like to build so it
will eventually store a whole year's worth)

rrdtool create bath.rrd --step 900 --start 967777200\
 DS:input:COUNTER:600:U:U DS:output:COUNTER:600:U:U\
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:200 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:2:700\
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:8:775 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:96:797

I then loaded my rrd with the following perl pseudo code:
starting at Sept 1st, run extract the 15-minute intervaled stats and execute
the following:
rrdtool update bath.rrd $time:$in:$out

I checked the size of my bath.rrd file and it had increased, indicating to
me that they loaded, plus I never got any errors (except on the very first
time interval, which was expected).

So everything seems to be working fine, so I attempt to graph this thing
using the following:
rrdtool graph test.gif\
DEF:inoctets=bath.rrd:input:AVERAGE\
DEF:outoctets=myrouter.rrd:output:AVERAGE \
AREA:inoctets#00FF00:"In traffic" \
LINE1:outoctets#0000FF:"Out traffic"

This command runs fine, but when I go and look at the outputted gif file,
there is no lines to it. It shows the grid, with labels In Traffic, Out
Trafic, but there are no lines on the grid to represent my graphic. I've
tried playing with the --start option when I graph the data, but always get
the same output (ie, no traffic shows up)

Being completely new to rrdtool, I'm sure I'm making a fundamental error
here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt
mda at unb.ca