[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool resets (sorry)

BAARDA, Don don.baarda at baesystems.com
Mon Jan 29 00:19:40 MET 2001

G'day,

	Remember that counters can "zero" because of a wrap, not just a
reset, and RRD has no way to differentiate the two. So RRD treats a negative
delta for a COUNTER as a wrap by default. If it was actually a reset, this
would _normaly_ result in an unlikely value (ie, huge). So the only way RRD
can mark a reset interval as "UNKNOWN" is if the value for that interval
looks unreasonable; ie, too big.

> I take it the DERIVE is the right thing to do and I believe in my mind it
> is correct.  I just would like to be able to explain why it is correct to
> my boss and everyone else that asks.  Any takers?

	I haven't seen all of your earlier posts so I'm not 100% familiar
with your setup, but it sounds like what you actually want is a COUNTER with
a reasonable max. Using DERIVE with min=0.0 will mark not only resets, but
also legitimate counter wraps as "Unknown".

	It always pays to have reasonable min and max values.