[rrd-users] Fwd: rrdtool resets (sorry)

Patrick Ammann Patrick.Ammann at nextra.ch
Tue Jan 30 11:24:27 MET 2001

Hi all,

i have some problems in understanding the way to get the "spikes/wraps" out
of my graphs.
i just read a lot in the mailing list and i finally came to the following
result.

The setup of my rrd database files looks actually like the following

filename = "test_router.Serial0.rrd"
rrd_version = "0001"
step = 300
last_update = 980849175
ds[in].type = "COUNTER"
ds[in].minimal_heartbeat = 740
ds[in].min = NaN
ds[in].max = NaN
ds[in].last_ds = "2467800446"
ds[in].value = 3.2024009901e+04
ds[in].unknown_sec = 0
ds[out].type = "COUNTER"
ds[out].minimal_heartbeat = 740
ds[out].min = NaN
ds[out].max = NaN
ds[out].last_ds = "1609629600"
ds[out].value = 5.3415594059e+04
ds[out].unknown_sec = 0

1. I could set the "ds[in].min = 0" (as Tobi said). This should cause that
a negative difference would reslut in a "nan" or "UNKNOWN" value. Did i
understand this correctly ?

As you wrote, this wouldn't prevent all kind of warps and spikes in the
graphs.

2. If i change the ds[in].type from "COUNTER" to "Derive" then i should get
rid off all problems (as discussed in the mail list), right ?

The point that i can't understand is the change of the "ds[in].last_ds".
Wouldn't this tell to the rrd that the last entry is the number you set to
that value ? Could you explain to me how this should work and if i realy
have to set "ds[in].last_ds" to a specific value to get all the warp and
counter restet problems out of my stats ?