[rrd-users] Re: rrd update

Owen DeLong owen at dixon.delong.sj.ca.us
Fri Jul 20 18:10:55 MEST 2001

As I understand it, DERIVE is only for counters that get reset on
_EVERY_
read.  This wouldn't help in his case, because the RESETS are random.

I know that COUNTER handles "wraps" correctly, but I'm not so sure it
is set up to handle the random resets you describe.

Owen

Paul Pot wrote:
> =

> Hi Brent,
> =

> You could change the COUNTER to DERIVE - this will do the trick.
> =

> hth
> paul
> *speaking for himself
> =

> To:   rrd-users at list.ee.ethz.ch
> cc:    (bcc: Paul Pot)
> =

> Subject:  [rrd-users] rrd update
> =

> I'm using RRD to monitor Apache and MySQL ( http://www.meshier.com/stat=
s/ )
> with DS set to COUNTER.  Whenever I restart Apache or MySQL their inter=
nal
> counters reset to zero.  However, RRD reports the maximum (800M or some=
thing
> around there)  The documentation says its suppose to handle reset count=
ers,
> yet my graphs are showing otherwise.  Any ideas?
> =

> --Brent
> =

> --
ibe
> Help        mailto:rrd-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=3Dhelp
> Archive     http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/rrd-users
> =

> --
ibe
> Help        mailto:rrd-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=3Dhelp
> Archive     http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/rrd-users

-- =

"Every time you turn on your new car, you're turning on 20
 microprocessors.  Every time you use an ATM, you're using a computer.
 Every time I use a settop box or game machine, I'm using a computer.
 The only computer you don't know how to work is your Microsoft
 computer, right?"
        - Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun Microsystems, Inc.,
          from an April 1997 interview in Upside Magazine